Obtaining Land Registry Maps for Registering Land

Written by Tom Samuels on

If you own land, and it isn’t already registered with the Land Registry in England and Wales, the Land Registry in Northern Ireland, or the Land Registry of Scotland, you can apply to register it. When land is sold, the sale will also trigger an entry in the land registry if the property isn’t already registered.

Download your Ordnance Survey plans here

The land registers are a central record of who owns what. The land registry entry doesn’t replace or override the plan that’s included in the title deeds.

Although it is possible for anyone to register land, most people choose to use a solicitor to do the work, as it’s obviously important to ensure that the process is legally correct. As well as filling in the forms, you or your solicitor will need to provide a plan showing the land that is to be registered. It’s essential that the plan is an Ordnance Survey one, for accuracy and consistency. The scales used are normally 1:1,250 in urban areas (normally showing an area of 200m x 200m) and 1:2,500 in rural areas (normally showing an area 400m x 400m). The area shown may, of course, have to be larger if you are registering a larger property.

You must obtain your plan from a registered Ordnance Survey agent - and we can supply the land registry maps on this site. You can find out more about land registration from the national agencies in England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Construction site of a large city